5 BENEFITS OF CHIA SEEDS - PROPERTIES AND USES
- because they are important for health
- how could you use them in the kitchen
Chia seeds are a natural product, they are usually organically grown and are gluten-free, therefore perfect for coeliacs.
1. CHIA SEEDS PROVIDE A LARGE AMOUNT OF
Despite being very small, chia seeds have a huge amount of nutrients and energy, with very few calories.
100 g of chia seeds contain
- 534 calories;
- protein 18.3 g;
- fats 42.1 g;
- saturated fat 3.6 g;
- carbohydrates 28.8 g;
- fibers 27.3 g.
sugars 1.5 g;
The recommended daily dose is from 15 to 25 g, for a caloric intake of only 75 kcal.
- With 28 g of fiber, chia seeds are one of the best sources of fiber. Fiber feeds the friendly bacteria in your gut to keep your gut flora working efficiently.
- I'm a low-carb foodie
- They are rich in high quality protein, as they provide all 8 essential amino acids. Chia seeds are an excellent source of plant protein, especially for vegans and vegetarians.
- In addition to macronutrients (fats, proteins and carbohydrates), chia seeds are rich in micronutrients, in particular, vitamins A, B and C and minerals . These include manganese, calcium, phosphorus, iron and magnesium.
They are also important for the many antioxidants present. Scientific studies have shown that antioxidants are essential because they fight premature aging and diseases such as cancer .
2. CHIA SEEDS CAN HELP KEEP HUNGER IN CONTROL
Chia seeds can help you lose weight, and therefore are an ideal food in a low-calorie diet. Fiber absorbs large amounts of water and expands in the stomach, which increases fullness and helps control hunger . Furthermore, the proteins contained also promote a sense of satiety and reduce appetite and food intake.
It should be noted that no food is able to promote weight loss, but they can still be a useful addition. A weight loss diet only works when combined with a healthy lifestyle and physical activity.
3. CHIA SEEDS ARE RICH IN OMEGA-3 FATTY ACIDS
Did you know that chia seeds contain more omega-3s than salmon? Chia seeds are considered the leading plant source of omega-3 fatty acids . In particular, 75% of the fat present in chia seeds is represented by omega-3 fatty acids, while the remaining 25% by omega-6 fatty acids.
Thanks to the high content of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, the seeds counteract inflammation , promote good development of the central nervous system, stabilize mood and improve cognitive functions and memory . They are also excellent allies in the prevention of diseases involving the heart and circulation, tumors and strokes.
4. CHIA SEEDS MAY IMPROVE PHYSICAL PERFORMANCE AND SUPPORT BONE HEALTH
Chia seeds act as nutrients and are allies of athletes especially in endurance competitions, increasing the intake of nutrients and decreasing the intake of sugar . In fact, they absorb and retain water, providing the body with constant and prolonged hydration .
Chia seeds are also rich in nutrients that are important for the health of bones and teeth , thanks to the high mineral content, especially calcium.
5. CHIA SEEDS MAY REDUCE THE RISK OF CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASE AND TYPE 2 DIABETES
With a low glycemic index, Chia seeds are able to improve metabolic health by regulating blood sugar levels and improving blood pressure. They help lower “bad” LDL cholesterol and reduce inflammation. Consistent consumption of chia seeds can help control blood sugar in patients with type 2 diabetes.
HOW TO USE THEM
Versatile and with a neutral flavour, they lend themselves to many recipes. They can be eaten for breakfast in yoghurt, in a smoothie , in diet bars, in yoghurt, in pudding or in porridge . When combined with liquid substances, they act as thickeners and therefore are a very important ingredient for vegan recipes as a substitute for animal fats (eggs and butter). They can be added to salads, baked goods, leavened doughs such as bread and focaccia and in cereal and legume soups. They can also be eaten raw, which is the best way to fully enjoy their beneficial properties.
Have we convinced you? If you care about your health, include chia seeds in your diet. Despite their size, the benefits they bring to the body are enormous. Once added to your meals, this superfood will become your perfect companion to any dish!