HEALTHY BANANA BREAD
The best vegan banana bread you've ever eaten is soft, savory, and tastes like the nostalgic traditional banana bread you know and love. This easy vegan recipe includes simple ingredients and makes for an amazing snack or brunch. You can add chocolate chips and nuts to make it even more special!
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 1/4 cups mashed bananas)
- 2 eggs at room temperature (it is very important that they are at room temperature)
- 1/2 teaspoon dietor or 1/3 maple syrup
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt (or your favorite yogurt)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 cup wholemeal pastry flour
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips, dairy-free if desired
- 2 tablespoons of chocolate chips, to sprinkle on the surface
Step 1. Preheat the oven to 175 degrees C. Line a baking tray with parchment paper or grease the inside of the tray to prevent sticking.
Step 2. In a large bowl mix the mashed banana, eggs, sweetener, yogurt and vanilla extract until well combined.
Step 3. In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: whole wheat pastry flour, almond flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
Step 4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Don't mix too much!
Step 5. Add the banana bread batter to the prepared pan.
Optional, but not required: Split a banana down the center vertically and add to the batter, or simply add the banana slices, side by side: ½ cup chopped nuts or ½ cup chocolate chips (or both!) .
Step 6. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs stuck to it. Let the bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove it and transfer it to a wire rack to cool.
Step 7. Once cooled, cut the bread into 12 slices. Serve with nut butter spread on top for a healthy snack or breakfast on the go.