Crispy baked eggplant cutlets are the perfect side dish. The sliced aubergines are covered in a breadcrumb mixture and are perfectly crunchy.
- 1 eggplant
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour (or whole wheat flour or other flour of your choice like buckwheat, GF, etc.)
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons room temperature water, 1-2 more tablespoons as needed
- 2 cups breadcrumbs or more if needed (I used stale sourdough bread)
- 2 courgettes (cooked in a pan with extra virgin olive oil)
- 1 cup rice (steamed)
Step 1. Cut the aubergines into 1-2 cm wide slices. I sliced mine diagonally.
Step 2. Mix all the batter ingredients in a bowl until you get a smooth consistency.
Step 3. In another shallow bowl, place the breadcrumbs.
Note: If the batter is still a little too thick, add 1 tablespoon of water as well. The batter should have the consistency of thick pancake batter.
Step 4. Dip each piece of eggplant in the batter and then roll it in the breadcrumbs. Repeat the operation until all the aubergines are covered.
Step 5. Place the eggplants on the air fryer basket. Drizzle a generous amount of oil on both sides. Air fry for 30-35 minutes at 200°C or until golden and crispy. Turn halfway through cooking. Please note that fryer settings may vary!
Step 6. Enjoy your meal!